Reading Notes- English Fairy Tales- Part A&B

Part A-

What a RIDE this reading was. I found it so amusing and precious at the same time. This is the first reading that I have read for this class that has followed a rhyme scheme. Half-way through the reading, I found myself humming the tune and singing the words to the story, which made reading it all that more fun. Despite all being together in one reading, each of the stories are so different from each other. I particularly got caught on The Woman and Her Pig, which at first extremely annoyed me as I was trying to read it in my head. But then I re-read it out-loud and it was actually such a fun play on words. The story builds and build until it hits the climax, then like an upside triangle, it works it’s way down.

Building up: “She went a little further, and she met a cat. So she said: 'Cat! cat! kill rat; rat won' t gnaw rope; rope won't hang butcher; butcher won't kill ox; ox won't drink water; water won't quench fire; fire won't burn stick; stick won't beat dog; dog won't bite pig; piggy won't get over the stile; and I shan't get home tonight.”

Breaking down: “the cat began to kill the rat; the rat began to gnaw the rope; the rope began to hang the butcher; the butcher began to kill the ox; the ox began to drink the water; the water began to quench the fire; the fire began to burn the stick; the stick began to beat the dog; the dog began to bite the pig; the little pig in a fright jumped over the stile; and so the old woman got home that night.”


How funny is that!! I mean it is a mouthful but really I thought it was so interesting.


Bibliography: Joseph Jacobs, English Fairy Tales, Link

Part B-

The funniest part about these stories in my opinion are how the plot will just be going along all nice and sweetly, and then in the last two sentences everything will go downhill, and sometimes it will just end with “and then he/she died.” I probably shouldn’t giggle, but it is such an abrupt way to end a story that I never know how to react other than that it is funny! I really liked the second part of this reading because it reminded me of Anansi stories. The main characters are quite the tricksters, and they do whatever it takes to get what they want. There is quite a bit more violence in these stories then original fables. For example, in the story of Molly Whuppie, this clever little girl deceives a Giant not once, but four times, including the killing of practically the Giant’s entire family:

‘The giant's wife begged that Molly would take her up into the sack till she would see what Molly saw. So Molly took the shears and cut a hole in the sack, and took out the needle and thread with her, and jumped down and helped the giant's wife up into the sack, and sewed up the hole.’

‘The giant's wife saw nothing, and began to ask to get down again; but Molly never minded, but hid herself at the back of the door. Home came the giant, and a great big tree in his hand, and he took down the sack, and began to batter it. His wife cried, 'It's me, man'; but the dog barked and the cat mewed, and he did not know his wife's voice’


Bibliography: Joseph Jacobs, English Fairy Tales, Link

Comments

Popular Posts